Every outdoor enthusiast must have at least one solid tent. But what if there are no good options in stores or are they very expensive? In this case, you can find information on how to sew a tent with your own hands. Knowing all the nuances, you can make a really high-quality design that will not fail even in bad weather.
Sewing the tent itself is quite possible, but you need to understand what requirements it must meet. First of all, it should be:
- Reliable, and withstand not only a long time use, but also a variety of external factors: from wind to rain;
- Comfortable. Its size should come from the number of people who will be in it. Growth of people is also important;
- Not heavy. This is important, especially if it is not just fishing, which you can go by car, but a real trip.
Based on the above criteria, materials for the manufacture of structures should be dense, waterproof. And it’s really great if they are also light. Examples include:
- Thin tarp;
- Raincoat fabric;
- Rubberized percale;
- Special tent fabric. This is the most ideal option.
Additional materials will also depend on the type of tent. The minimum set implies the presence of:
- Strong ropes;
- Tape for processing joints;
- Litter of waterproof material;
- Needles and threads.
As you can see, the set is quite simple and very affordable. You can find everything you need in the nearest construction or hardware stores.
How to sew a waterproof tent with your own hands
Waterproofing is a very important criterion on which the comfort of being in a tent will depend. You can immediately buy a tent fabric, which is initially saturated with a water-repellent. But there are a number of measures that can make waterproof even ordinary fabric, such as tarpaulin. Here are some examples:
- In a solution of linen soap 40-50% put the fabric until completely saturated. After that, transfer it to a solution of copper sulfate 20%. After a few minutes, the material must be removed and thoroughly dried;
- In 4 l of warm water put 0.5 kg of soap, rosin in an amount of 450 g and 25 g of baking soda. In the resulting mixture put the material for about 2 hours. After time, it is removed and dried;
- Combine water and alum in a ratio of 10 to 4. Add to the mixture 2 parts of fish glue, as well as linen soap - 1 part. It is good to squeeze the fabric soaked in the solution and rinse with a solution of lead acetic acid in a concentration of 4%.
All of these methods require the use of protective gloves and accuracy. But the most straightforward method can be considered the use of a conventional film, which, if necessary, can cover the tent and secure it with clothespins.
A simple version of the tent can be done using the following pattern.Waterproof Tent Pattern
The dimensions on the diagram are indicated in centimeters and are designed for the perimeter of the base 150 * 180 cm. If necessary, they can always be increased, while maintaining the general proportions.
Such a tent will require at least one riser. You can use for this ordinary ski. But if there is immediately a pair, then even better. In this case, the riser is better to make in the form of the letter Λ. It is very convenient, especially in conditions of poor visibility. The back wall is fixed on stretch marks, which is carried out from the highest point in the diagram. If the area is wooded and it is possible to establish a structure between two large trees, then you can not even use a riser.
The main steps for sewing a tent are as follows:
- Sewing a stretch with a nylon rope between points A and FG;
- Sewing stretch marks to points B and C;
- On the outside, at the corners of the base, loops are installed for which the tent will be mounted on pegs. A nylon rope is also suitable for this purpose;
- If desired, you can sew a zipper between the wings.
- Preparation of the base of the structure. To do this, from a durable waterproof, and preferably rubberized material, it is necessary to cut a piece of the right size and sew it with a tarpaulin tent tent.
It is advisable to make holes in the design for air circulation. The easiest way is to slightly cut the sides of the tent and install between them a holding object, for example, an ordinary branch. The edges of the cuts must be treated with threads so that the fabric does not disperse. Seams can always be reinforced with tape. Such a measure will not only save the tent from tearing seams, but also from the ingress of moisture through them.
Do-it-yourself winter fishing tent
The tent for winter fishing, in addition to the basic requirements, should additionally protect its owner from low temperatures and increased rainfall.Winter fishing tent
Do-it-yourself old skis and an unnecessary folding bed can be useful for making a winter tent with your own hands. It is imperative to have a suitable fabric for the awning and the tube. Instead, you can also use ski poles. Below is a diagram of a simple single design.Scheme of the winter tent
Since the basis of such a tent is skiing, you can use this moment to your advantage, for example, move the structure on ice from one hole to another.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- Tubes that will play the role of a horizontal upper crossbar are connected to ski poles, which play the role of vertical racks. To do this, use tees of suitable diameters;
- After this, the second end of the vertical poles is fixed to the skis. A metal plate attached to the ski and a tongue in the shape of the letter T will help;
- It is necessary to remove two bent tubes at the ends of the clamshell. They will connect the finished frame to the fishing box. To do this, they should have a latch on one end, and a docking unit on the other;
- The box with the tubes is connected using a copper spring;
- Awning fastens with ropes. To do this, holes are made in the lower part of the material or a special finished metal strip is used. Staples are pushed into the holes and secured to the skis.
In windy conditions, the tent may not be stable. To do this, it is necessary to equip it with weighting agents.
UmbrellaDesign of the tent “Umbrella”
This is the simplest type of tent, which is very easy to install. This contributes to its umbrella design. The main frame is made of duralumin tubes or rods. They have the necessary level of rigidity. From above it is covered with an awning from a tarpaulin or other synthetic fabric. The disadvantage of this type is the low level of vapor permeability.
Wireframe on arcs
Not very popular with fishermen, because it does not have high reliability and stability. Its structure is very simple: it is based on several arc frames, which are made of fiberglass or duralumin. The second option is more durable. Due to this, the shape of the tent can be different. An awning is pulled over the frame.
The basis of this type is a frame made of thin metal rods. They must be flexible enough to fold the tent compactly. This is the meaning of the name "Automatic": when you remove the tent from the cover, it, due to the spring state of the frame, independently takes the desired shape. The installation procedure usually does not take more than 20-30 seconds.Winter fishing tent
The disadvantages of this type are called the inconvenience of folding the structure, its instability and low resistance to external influences. Therefore, it is best to use it for day fishing.
In order to sew a children's play tent, you will need 4 tall wooden blocks, a piece of fabric, a drill, a crossbar and elastic bands. 4 bars act as a base, 2 on each side. Crossing them, at the intersection make a hole with a drill. A crossbar is installed in the holes, which will connect the two sides.Children tent
Sew a small piece of elastic, folded in half, to each corner of the fabric. It remains only to pull the finished fabric on a wooden frame. The tent is ready.