The price tag for good snowshoes is at least 7,000 rubles. Much less cost will be required for making snowshoes with your own hands at home. Moreover, everything you need can often be found in everyday life.
Snowshoes: characteristics and manufacturing options
A device for moving on snow artificially increases the size of a person's foot. When walking in it, the covered surface area of the snowdrifts becomes larger, the person does not fall into the snow. Weight pressure is distributed throughout the structure, rather than focusing on a single point.
For walks in the plain and forest, it is better to make frame frames that spring when walking, they are easy to move around, you can run and jump. It is more convenient for climbers, snowboarders and skiers to climb mountains on whole views with an emphasis on the heel and additional teeth.
The main models of snowshoes are distinguished by the following types:
- With a dense base without holes. They are made of plywood, a wooden bar or plastic. They are used in movement on ice and mountains.
- With a full or partial mesh base with a frame made of wood or bone.
The shoe holder is selected according to its appearance. Clamps are made for shoes with welt or for any type of shoe.
How to make snowshoes with your own hands?
For the manufacture of products lovers of walking on a snowy crust use, as a rule, a flexible tree, polypropylene pipes and plywood. The net is woven from nylon rope, cord or rawhide straps. The listed materials are convenient in operation, affordable.
Making snowshoes with your own hands from polypropylene pipes
- two one and a half meter polypropylene (or PVC) pipes with a diameter of 30 mm;
- nylon cord 4-6 mm thick;
- elastic bands for fastening legs - 2 pcs;
- open fire (gas stove)
- 20 cm are cut from each tube and pieces are laid aside, they will be needed later.
- The remainder of the pipe, about 130 cm long, is heated in the middle over an open flame. At home, use a gas stove. Bend in the center so that the ends of the tube are connected.
- Put in cold water, cool.
- At a distance of 10 cm from the edges, the tube is bent by 120 degrees. This is the future junction.
- Process the tube over the entire area with sandpaper. Remove the sliding cover, make it rough for a strong fit repshnur.
- The ends are tightly connected as shown in the photo with a cord (rope).
- 20 cm pieces are wound in the middle and an elastic band is attached to them to hold the legs.
It turns out a good budget version of snowshoes from plastic pipes made by yourself, as in the photo.
We make ourselves snowshoes with a frame of wood
Bear's paw - snowshoes convenient for walking through the forest while hunting. You can do them yourself. They have a teardrop shape. The frame is best made of ash. Wood is harvested in autumn or winter when the movement of juice in the trunk is stopped.
For work, a steaming chamber is required. Its length should correspond to the length of the workpieces. At home, this function is easily performed by a plastic tube. Steam may be supplied to it from a closed water boiler.
The trunk of the ash is chopped lengthwise into 4 parts and trimmed with a braid. At the output, a workpiece with a section of 40 * 40 mm is obtained. Length is selected individually, at will. In places of the least load (front and rear), the cross section can be reduced. The blanks are placed in a steaming chamber and kept there for at least 3 hours, and then they are bent and fixed. In this form, leave a semi-finished product for a week.
After 7 days, the ends of the snowshoes are spliced at the back. To do this, split the edges "on the mustache", join the "overlap" and glue with epoxy glue. Until the glue has grasped, the attachment point is tightly wrapped with fiberglass tape. When the glue hardens, the joint is cleaned.
To give strength and rigidity to the structure, transverse crossbars are inserted into the spike on it. Then, a polyurethane varnish is applied to the wooden skeleton. When the product dries proceed to tightening. Front and back structures are braided with a nylon cord in the form of a mesh. The middle part is performed with a polyurethane tape. The place of greatest load, the node with which the shoe holder is connected, is reinforced with a screed across the steel cable in a polyurethane shell. The fastening is carried out both on hunting skis, so that when lifting the product with the foot outweighed its rear part.
You can get a visual representation of how to make snowshoes on your own in the next video.
How to make do-it-yourself snowshoes from plywood?
Plywood snowshoes are suitable for short distances.
For manufacturing you will need:
- Plywood sheet No. 7-10.
- Electric jigsaw.
- Wood screws.
- Mounts for straps.
A jigsaw of plywood cuts out a rectangle of size 20 * 50 cm, the edges of the workpiece are rounded off. Mark the place for the foot. Then the structure is reinforced with wooden planks attaching them in pieces of 2, parallel to each other, on each deck from the bottom. This protects plywood, it will not break when walking on bumps. Planks should match the length of the base.
With a pencil or chalk on the surface mark the line for placing the center of the foot and determine the points under the screws for attaching the straps. The holes in the plywood should be narrower than the diameter of the screw. Lumber - wider. Smaller holes are filled with glue and reinforcing fasteners are twisted with the base.
Drill holes in which ropes or cords will be pulled to attach snowshoes to the foot. If you intend to use belts, the holes are expanded with a jigsaw.Plywood Snowshoes
DIY plywood snowshoes are ready. This is the simplest, least expensive, fastest option for making snowshoes at home.
How to wear snowshoes?
To put on the device in this way: the heel is placed on the snowshoe in the vicinity of the fulcrum and the fastening is fastened (tied up) alternately. The ligament is checked throughout the leg, it is necessary to make sure that the devices are well fixed. It is better to wear snow shoe covers on shoes.
If the fixation is carried out correctly, the snowshoes will not arbitrarily weaken, will not be felt through the boot, the leg will sit tightly, will not slide forward and backward, dangling to the sides. Too tight fixation, feeling of squeezing legs, exacerbate discomfort when walking.
Unlike skis, skiing on which requires certain skills, everyone can wear snowshoes and move confidently after 3 hours of training.
Accustomed to adaptation, at first they take wide steps increasing the load on the hips.
- Walking at the usual pace. The foot is placed on the heel then the center of gravity is transferred to the entire foot.
- If you need to clear fresh loose snow, taking each step, the snowshoe toe is raised above the snow level. Above the leg do not skid, this leads to rapid fatigue.
- When walking use sticks. They maintain body balance, help maintain balance, increase stability, and involve the upper body in movement. Particularly needed emphasis on deep snow. The length of the stick should be comfortable for the traveler.
- Walking uphill, hit the toe in the snow. This fixes the snowshoe, makes it a lever for lifting.
- Going down, they walk narrowly. In case of loss of balance one should not run from the mountain, it is better to sit down and orient oneself.
- Moving along the slope at each step they drive into the snow, the lateral part of the device. Balance is kept trying to move up the slope. Walking with sticks simplifies this process.
- If on the way there are knurled tracks, they move along them, from the side, without breaking the knurled track. These are the rule of good form in this case.
- A team of several people moves in formation. Ahead sets the pace, trample the snow. By agreement, the first member of the column is periodically changed, since the load on the rider ahead is higher than the rest.