Do-it-yourself heated insoles will be a good find for people who, due to circumstances, are forced to stay outdoors for a long time in the winter. This simple device will help keep your feet warm not fishing, hunting, hiking, sellers in the market, etc. In addition to the cold season, insoles are useful in spring and even in summer, in rainy weather.
The device and principle of operation of heated insoles
One of the cold-sensitive parts of the body are the feet. If they freeze, the whole body begins to freeze, which gives us great discomfort, not to mention the risk of catching a cold. Heated insoles will help to cope with the preservation of heat in severe frosts.
In the device of heated insoles there is nothing tricky. Depending on the type of product, the principle of operation will differ. Products are made of several layers:
- bottom layer - insulating material in the lower part, which retains heat well and does not allow moisture to pass through;
- Next comes the pressure sensor, the connector for the charger, the battery and electronic elements, a heating element is located in the fingers or along the entire foot;
- penultimate layer - polyurethane absorbing and synthetic insulating layers;
- the last layer is a non-fabric-based lining.
High-quality insoles with heating should evenly distribute heat throughout the foot, repeat its shape. It is desirable that there is perforation in the area of the fingers. Thanks to her, they will warm up faster.
Insoles often have indicators of the heating mode. Can work from ordinary or rechargeable batteries. The design of the products is made in such a way that they are very easy to put into shoes, and several size options allow you to choose individual for each insole.
Types of Heated Insoles
There are three types of "warm" insoles: rechargeable, battery-powered and chemical. The first two types have a heating element in their design, are divided into wired and wireless.
The insoles have an external battery and a heating element inside the structure. Even if you first used such a thing, you will not see any discomfort in wearing, the foot quickly gets used to it.
The battery and the heating element are interconnected by a wire of 40-60 cm. The batteries themselves are attached to the lower legs, and the temperature regime is changed using the control panel. Although the main element is outside, there is no risk of injury. All wires that are energized are hidden in a plastic, tight-fitting box.
Wired insoles can work up to a maximum of 12 hours, which is enough to spend the necessary amount of time in cold or cold water. Heated insoles on the battery can be made with your own hands, it will turn out no worse than the purchased option.
In such insoles, batteries are placed inside the product, most often in the heel area. The heating element is located in the toes, as they are the first to start to freeze. It is possible to retain heat inside the insole using specially selected materials: artificial plastic and natural rubber.
If you prefer wireless insoles with heating, then pick up your size immediately, taking into account the height, because it’s impossible to customize the product. The working time of the insoles is also rather big - up to 11 hours, at 4 hours to a full charge. Some models are equipped with a remote control. This allows you to turn them off when you enter the room.Wireless Heated Insoles
Another type of heated insoles is chemical. Mostly disposable. Sold in hermetically sealed bags. To start working, you need to shake or rub your palms on each insole after printing. This will start a chemical reaction. After the insoles began to heat up, they are put into shoes. There are models that can be glued to socks with a self-adhesive tape located on one side.
Insoles are heated due to oxidation of iron. To avoid burns, manufacturers add chloride and sodium salt, which reduce the oxidation process. Sawdust or charcoal is still added to some products to eliminate odor and moisture.
The work of chemical insoles is designed for 6-7 hours. Heated no more than 450 C. For a short walk this is enough.
Advantages and disadvantages of wireless insoles
The heated insoles have both their advantages and some disadvantages. Product benefits include:
- keep your feet warm even in severe frosts;
- wireless insoles can be matched to size;
- in chemical type products there are children's sizes;
- adjustment of temperature and heating modes;
- fast charge from a regular network;
- comfortable to wear;
- can be turned off at the entrance to the building.
The disadvantages of insoles are as follows:
- not all budget models are able to retain heat for a long time;
- the high heel position in the wireless insoles gives the feeling of being on a heel;
- in akb models, the battery has to cling to the leg;
- There is a risk of wire breakage or breakage at the most inopportune moment.
After weighing the pros and cons, you decide on the purchase of "warm" insoles. If you do not want to spend money in vain, you can make heated insoles for fishing or just do it yourself with improvised materials.
Instructions for making homemade insoles with heating do-it-yourself
How to make heated insoles with your own hands? Everything is very simple. For the manufacture of heated insoles, it is important to pay attention to the selection of materials so that the heat loss at the bottom is minimal and the heat transfer to the legs is maximum. You will need materials and tools such as:
- a pair of felt insoles;
- material for the front layer of the insole (you can take genuine leather, jeans, leatherette);
- nichrome wire about 60-70 cm;
- pencil case for batteries (4 compartments);
- switch to 2 or 3 modes;
- MGTF wire 4 m;
- crimp sleeve S = 0.2 mm2 4 things;
- set of socket and plug 2 pcs;
- heat-resistant tube 1.5-2 m;
- strips of woven Velcro;
The manufacturing process at home consists of simple steps that can not be performed even by a professional.
- Using crimp sleeves, a MGTF wire is attached to the nichrome wire. First, the sleeve is put on a wire, the end of which is then inserted into the cleaned wire. The junction is closed with a sleeve, which is then crimped. Outside the insole, the wire should protrude no less than 50 cm, for convenient attachment to the leg. The wire on the insole is arranged in random order, as anyone likes. You can attach it with the help of threads and needles.
- The plug from the headphone is soldered to the free end of the wire to connect the insoles for recharging. The hanging stranded wire is sewn on the side of the insole to about the middle.
- The upper part of the insole is cut from a piece of leather and applied to a felt base with wire.
- Now the battery is being arranged. A socket for a plug is mounted in one of the four compartments in the battery case.
- A Velcro is attached to the back of the battery compartment. Two batteries are inserted on the front side. In this case, the heating temperature will be no more than 350 C. If this is not enough, you can insert a third battery.
The nuances of manufacturing heated insoles for fishing
Homemade heated insoles for use on fishing must be done taking into account environmental conditions. If there is a risk that water will get into the shoes, the insole material should be waterproof. All wires must be carefully hidden inside. It is better to make insoles wireless so as not to wet the batteries on the foot. Switching modes should also be convenient. It is better if it is a remote control. Then, even standing in the wagons, waist-deep in water, you can adjust the heating temperature.
Features of operation of heated insoles
Using homemade products is more than easy. The main thing in the product is that it should be the size of your shoes, otherwise it will fidget inside. Follow the rules for using insoles so that they last you a long time:
- do not violate the integrity of the protective casing;
- to wet products;
- bend insoles;
- stretch, crush the wire;
- dry immediately upon arrival home.
Put wireless insoles on time to recharge so that you don’t suddenly get left without a heating pad on the street.